Embrace winter by snowmobiling wide-open, snow-capped trails at forest preserves throughout Lake County. Nearly 24 miles of trail are designated for snowmobiling. These trails are groomed and patrolled by our staff and volunteers.
Preserve trails designated for snowmobiling include:
A 4-inch snow base and frozen ground is required in order to open the trails. Snowmobilers should use caution and watch for trail route signs along all Forest Preserve snowmobile trails. When conditions allow, snowmobile trails are open from 6:30 am–11 pm, Sunday through Thursday, and 6:30 am–midnight, Fridays and Saturdays.
Snowmobile Trailer Parking
The following snowmobile trailer parking lots are open extended hours for snowmobilers:
As snowmobilers sometimes share our many multipurpose trails with others who want to enjoy the outdoors, please follow these rules of common sense and courtesy:
- Ride on the right.
- Allow space on the left for others to pass.
- Alert others when passing from behind.
- Keep on marked trails.
- Control your speed at all times and be prepared to slow down when approaching other trail users.
- Use additional caution when around horses.
- Snowmobiles must yield to hikers, cross-country skiers and equestrians.