Hiking or jogging is the most popular activity in the forest preserves. More than 182 miles of multiuse trails provide opportunities for exercise, relaxation and quality time outdoors. Download trail maps.
The majority of preserve trails are gravel. Some sites also have paved trails:
- Independence Grove, Libertyville
- Old School, Libertyville
- Millennium Trail (from the horse trailer parking area at Singing Hills north to Rollins Savanna)
- Fort Sheridan, Highland Park
- Hastings Lake, Lindenhurst
There also are a small number of preserves that offer mowed grass or woodchip trails.
All preserve trails are between 8–14 feet wide and are ADA accessible.
As hikers share our many multipurpose trails with others who want to enjoy the outdoors, please follow these rules of common sense and courtesy.
- Leash and pick up after your pet.
- Walk on the right.
- Allow space on the left for others to pass.
- Remember that bicycles and horses may be passing you from behind.
- Use caution around horses.
- Keep on marked trails.
- Collecting and littering are prohibited.