Skip to: Content
Skip to: Site Navigation
Skip to: Search

Today's Sunset:
8:18pm


   

Your Forest Preserves

your forest preserves

Maps

Stevenson Home Site Guide
Countywide Map & Guide
Directions

Acreage

40 acres

Activities

Exhibits
Self-Guided Trails & Exhibits

Amenities

Public Parking

Related Sites 

Captain Daniel Wright Woods
Des Plaines River Trail and Greenway
Lake County Discovery Museum
Lake County History Archives

Adlai E. Stevenson Historic Home

The Adlai E. Stevenson Historic Home was built in 1938 by Adlai E. Stevenson II and his wife, Ellen Borden. In 1969 most of the property was sold to Edison Dick, a longtime friend of Stevenson. In 1974, the Dick family donated the estate to the Lake County Forest Preserves. 

The home is located in Captain Daniel Wright Woods Forest Preserve with separate parking available on Saint Mary's Road just north of the preserve's main entrance.

National Historic Landmark

The Stevenson Home has been designated a National Historic Landmark (NHL) by the United States Secretary of the Interior in honor of prominent 20th century statesman Adlai E. Stevenson II, who played a major role in the Cold War. The Stevenson Home is one of only four sites in the 2014 set of designations. It joins 2,540 other sites across the country recognized as places that possess exceptional value and quality in illustrating or interpreting the heritage of the United States. There are 86 National Historic Landmarks located in Illinois. The estate is also a designated Illinois Historic Site and is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. 

Trails

Self-guided trails around the property are open 6:30 am–sunset, daily. Interpretive signs provide historical information about the site. The peaceful setting allows visitors to experience the historic landscape similar to how it appeared when Stevenson lived at the house.  

Exhibitions

The service building houses exhibitions about Stevenson's life and career, and is open 9 am–5 pm, daily, April–October. Toilets are available when the service building is open.

Public Tours

Our Cultural Resources staff lead public tours of the grounds and home throughout the year. Learn more.

Group Tours

High school and community groups can arrange for a guided tour. Call 847-968-3422 for details.

 

Location

The Adlai E. Stevenson Historic Home is located in southeast Lake County in Mettawa and is part of Captain Daniel Wright Woods Forest Preserve. [View on Google Maps]

The entrance is on Saint Mary’s Road between Everett Road and Route 60 (Townline Road).

 

History

In 1935, Adlai E. Stevenson II and his wife purchased 70 acres of land on which to build a home. The first house they built, of "fireproof" construction, burned down soon after it was built. Many of the family's belongings and antiques were lost in the fire. The house standing today is the second house, built on the site in 1938. Like the first house, it was originally painted yellow, which was Ellen's favorite color.

The house, designed by the firm of Perkins, Wheeler and Will, is modern and Art Deco in style, due to the simplicity of its design, and use of geometric shapes, symmetry, and features that are either stepped or curved. Art Deco was a popular international design movement during the 1920s and 1930s. The many large windows, porches, and decks featured throughout the home provide beautiful views of the expansive property.

The most important room in the house is the study. When he was at home, Stevenson spent the majority of his time at his desk in this room, writing speeches and books, and meeting with dignitaries such as Eleanor Roosevelt, a close friend and frequent guest at the home, and John F. Kennedy. Walking through the house and grounds will bring you one step closer to better understanding this extraordinary man.

The second building located on the property is the service building, built in 1937 by the Lake Forest firm of Anderson and Ticknor. This building housed the garage, horse stalls, and the apartment of the caretaker, Frank Holland, and his family. Holland was farm manager and caretaker for the Stevensons from 1937 to 1963, and again from 1965 to 1970.

Adlai E. Stevenson II (1900-1965)

An important and influential figure in the political history of the United States, Adlai Stevenson II was born into an already famous Illinois political family. His grandfather and namesake, Adlai E. Stevenson (1835-1914), was Vice President to Grover Cleveland (1893-1897), and his maternal great-grandfather, Jesse Fell, was a close friend of Abraham Lincoln.

Stevenson II was Governor of Illinois from 1949 to 1953, ran twice for President as the Democratic National Candidate in 1952 and 1956, and served as Ambassador to the United Nations during the Kennedy administration from 1961 to 1965.

Though he lost both presidential campaigns to Dwight D. Eisenhower, it was Stevenson's ideas that are his real lasting legacy. His importance lay in his efforts to raise the level of the public's awareness about the nature of the world, America's place in it, and what the future was likely to hold.

When he died of a heart attack in London in 1965, The New York Times wrote "To the public dialogue of his time he brought intelligence, civility and grace. We who have been his contemporaries have been companions of greatness."

 

Contact Information

Adlai E. Stevenson Historic Home
25200 N St Marys Rd
Mettawa, IL 60061
 
Adlai Stevenson Home photo (c) Jess Sm

Preserve News

Board approves 100-year Vision and Strategic Plan
Discovery Museum participates in Blue Star program
Adlai Stevenson Home designated a National Historic Landmark
 

Upcoming Events

Aug 24 Adlai E. Stevenson Historic Home Public Tours - 1:00 PM
    Adlai E. Stevenson Historic Home Public Tours - 2:30 PM