This peaceful oasis among the bustling suburbs offers 4 miles of scenic trails: a short loop for hikers, bicyclists and skiers that circles a pond, and a 3-mile loop for hikers, bicyclists, skiers and horses. A wheelchair accessible fishing pier provides easy access to a 3-acre man-made pond.
A footbridge spanning the Des Plaines River links Wright Woods to Half Day Forest Preserve. Together they offer some of southern Lake County's most scenic outdoor recreation opportunities. Facilities at the more fragile Wright Woods are best suited for small groups, while those at Half Day are designed for gatherings both large and small.
The Des Plaines River Trail passes through both preserves. Its gravel base is perfect for hikers, bicyclists, horseback riders and cross-country skiers.
The Adlai E. Stevenson Historic Home is part of Wright Woods with separate parking available off of Saint Mary's Road just north of the preserve's main entrance. The home was built in 1938 by Adlai Stevenson and his wife, Ellen Borden. The estate is a designated Illinois Historic Site and is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
The grounds are open daily for self-guided tours. Guided tours also available. Interpretive signs provide historical information about the site. From April to October, the service building and its exhibits about Stevenson's life and career is open daily from 9 am to 5 pm.